The Union Trust Building
was erected in 1921 on the site of the Null House, a hotel that
was owned by Harrison Null and later Levi Portzer.
The site had become a fixture in the history of the town because
it was a popular place to stay and located very near the courthouse.
The Union Trust Company was formed in 1921 as one of the several
emerging banks in Greensburg. It erected this building after purchasing
the Null House property and opened for business about a year later.
The building for many years had a corner clock that became a fixture
in town, along with the more visible clock at the top of the Westmoreland
County Jail behind the courthouse.
After the depression began in 1929, Union Trust merged into First
National Bank in 1931. First National Bank became one of two banks
that survived the Depression, later known as Southwest Bank and
more recently First Commonwealth Bank. Since the merger with First
National in 1931, the building has been used for offices, but the
clock remained in place until more modern times.
In November 2004, the Westmoreland Cultural Trust purchased the
Union Trust Building from Red Oak Associates, LLP, and in September
of 2005, relocated its administration office to 102 N. Main Street.
In addition to housing the Trust’s main office, the Union
Trust Building is also home to Dante Bertani, Attorney at Law; Moody,
McElrath & Johnston, Attorneys at Law; Stage Right (youth
acting/dance/theatre school) and Big Brothers Big Sisters of the