THE PALACE THEATRE
GREENSBURG GARDEN
& CIVIC CENTER
GREENSBURG AREA
CULTURAL COUNCIL
PNC TRAIN STATION
AT GREENSBURG
STARK/JAMES BUILDING
UNION TRUST BUILDING
 
 

In the middle of the 19th century, rail service transporting freight was established in Greensburg. Soon after, passenger service began and heavy traffic created the need for a depot. The Pennsylvania Railroad constructed a small white frame structure near the current Station to serve passengers and the ever-increasing freight. The economic boom created by coal and Greensburg's growing importance as a retail and industrial center convinced the Pennsylvania Railroad to build a better station. The railroad then commissioned architect William Cookman to design the new station for Greensburg. At that time, it was also necessary to redesign the tracks to accommodate the increased rail traffic and the spurs that had been added. The new design elevated the tracks to lessen the west-bound grade and removed a tunnel under Main Street and Maple Avenue. By removing the tunnel, a gap was created in the hill and bridges were built over the span. During this time, the arch over College Avenue was also constructed.

The Station and rail tracks through Greensburg were heavily used both for freight and passengers until the late 1940s. As America began to depend more on automobiles and the highway system, passenger travel slowed. In the late 1960s the Pennsylvania Railroad merged with the New York Central Railroad to create the Penn Central Railroad. The Penn Central later sold off many properties including the station at Greensburg and for a time passenger travel was suspended.

Amtrak restored passenger service to the Main Line in 1977, the same year The Station was placed on the National Register for Historic Places. The Greensburg Station is now one of the most heavily used stops on the Amtrak route to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and/or New York City. Today the Station is the property of the Westmoreland Cultural Trust which houses a restaurant and professional office spaces. 

In late 2012, the historic Train Station at Greensburg was renamed the PNC Train Station at Greensburg as a component of a recent $300,000 grant from the PNC Foundation to Westmoreland Cultural Trust, owner of the century-old landmark.  A popular stop on Amtrak’s Pennsylvanian route between Pittsburgh and New York City with 13,395 passengers annually – making it one of the largest unmanned stations in Pennsylvania - the station includes a restaurant and professional office spaces.  The name change will be will be in place for a minimum of ten years. 

The PNC Foundation, which receives its principal funding from The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: PNC), awarded the grant in support of the Trust’s mission to encourage cultural and economic development in the region.  Westmoreland Cultural Trust acquired the station in 1993 and completed its renovation in 1998. 

“We are both grateful and excited that PNC has chosen to support the mission and efforts of the Trust,” said Michael J. Langer, P
resident of the Trust. 

“Westmoreland Cultural Trust has been instrumental in developing a historic district within Greensburg,” said Jim Balouris, Southwestern Pennsylvania market manager for PNC. “We are honored to have this beautiful building named in recognition of our support of its commitment to preserve the community’s cultural gems.”

 


 

 
   
 

Ms. Abby DeBlassio, Esquire
101 Ehalt Street, Suite 107
Greensburg, PA 15601-2300
724.832.9440

Representative
Tim Krieger

101 Ehalt Street, Suite 105
Greensburg, PA 15601
724.836.6426
tim@timkrieger.com

THE SUPPER CLUB
at PNC Train Station at Greensburg

101 Ehalt Street,
Greensburg, PA 15601
724.691.0536
www.supperclubgreensburg.com

Westmoreland Health Group
101 Ehalt Street, Suite 109
Greensburg, PA 15601
724.837.2525
 

 
 

For Amtrak Reservation
& Scheduling Info
:
Call 1.800.872.7245

or Online at: www.amtrak.com

     
  For Information on Leasing Space: Call 724.836.1123    
WESTMORELAND CULTURAL TRUST + 102 N. MAIN STREET, SUITE 232 + GREENSBURG, PENNSYLVANIA 15601 + 724.836.1123